Full Job Description
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $30,000.00 to $50,000.00 /year
- Job Location: Christiansburg, VA
- Required Education: High school or equivalent
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs professional tree work, and instructs tree trimmers and groundsmen; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
Under general supervision, an incumbent in this class performs and directs others in arborist work. The incumbent is responsible for inspecting trees to determine the need for trimming, spraying, or other appropriate treatment. Responsibility includes planning and scheduling of work, keeping records of time and material, requisitioning supplies and preparing reports. Work is performed with considerable independence within departmental and ISA guidelines.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Assigns, instructs, and directs tree trimmers and groundsmen.
- Directs tree spray programs.
- Oversees the planting, pruning, felling, cabling, and climbing of trees.
- Operates power saws and spraying equipment.
- Inspects trees, develops a tree inventory, and determines appropriate action.
- Advises and assists in turf management program.
- Lays out jobs and estimates manpower and equipment needs.
- Recommends new equipment and requisitions supplies.
- Prepares information for budget requests.
- Maintains records and reports for arborist maintenance program.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of tree maintenance and arboriculture.
- Thorough knowledge of pesticides and their application.
- Thorough knowledge of the safety precautions of the trade.
- Skill in the use of equipment of the trade including power and hand tools; ability to climb trees and tie knots.
- Ability to identify tree species, flowers, common insects, and diseases; ability to plan, lay out and supervise the work of others.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.